Tuesday, August 15, 2017

MFT Camp Create Day I: Inlaid Made Easy

 So excited to be playing along with this round of MFT Camp Create!  5 Days of awesome projects and lots of prizes to win!  Today is Day 1 and it's all about inlaying dies... there is a very cool video here if you aren't sure how to get started!  When I saw the first project I immediately thought of some of the awesome Paper Smooches dies that lend themselves perfectly to this technique!


I love these dies because they cut out the outline and then all of the pieces.  I started by taking a white piece of paper and cut the flower out of the center.  This is the Houseplant Die from Paper Smooches.  I kept all of the pieces in white and used my Zig watercolor markers to color each of the pieces.  The other option would be to cut the flower a few times from some different colors of paper, but I really liked the idea of just coloring the pieces...



I flipped over the paper that I diecut the flower out of onto my workspace.  As I colored each piece in, I placed it into the negative space where it belonged, like putting together a puzzle.  After I filled in all of the spaces, I used some scotch tape to hold the pieces together and when I was done I could flip over the piece and all of the inserted parts stayed put!  This was so much fun and I am definitely going to do this again... thinking of the Paper Smooches cactus die!!


I had this Hello Sunshine diecut cut with a Stamplorations die sitting on my table ... a leftover from a previous project that was rejected because believe it or not... it was too sparkly!  Whaaaaat?  Yeah... I knew I'd use it somewhere else thought so I saved it... and I was right because it was perfect for this project.



Hope you enjoyed it here and please do check out the Camp Create posts... it is so much fun to learn new techniques and/or get tips on easier ways to do them at the very least!  





4 comments:

Lori said...

Such a cute card! Love the hello sunshine die and that flower just makes me smile!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

So gorgeous!!! LOVING that flower!!!!!!!!!!!!

~amy~ said...

How CUTE!!!

Scrapper69 said...

I'm hoping to get something started today! LOVE your inlay look... the flower is beautiful! :)

Theresa